In the past safe manual handling training was all about how to lift things correctly. However current practice is to minimise the risk of manual handling injury through a three step process:
1. Identify hazardous manual handling tasks.
2. Assess risks involved in hazardous tasks
3. Risk control - measures to reduce or eliminate risks.
With the aid of an ergonomist and a physiotherapist, this program demonstrates how to make a workplace safer using some basic principles and procedures.
- Statistics on workplace injuries in Australia
- Employee and employer responsibilities on workplace safety
- What to do if your workplace is unsafe
- What to do if you are injured at work
- Descriptions of common dangerous actions (such as dangerous ways to lift, awkward postures, repetitive tasks...)
- Examples of dangerous situations and how to make them safer.